The General Society of Mechanics & Tradesmen of the City of New York

New York Landmarks Conservancy

17 Saturday

Tour Time: 12:00

Lamb + Rich (1890)
20 West 44th Street,
Manhattan

The building at 20 West 44th Street is the home of The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen and the ICAA, among other nonprofit organizations. The façade of the building is a New York City landmark, and the building itself is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  The 1890 building was originally designed by the architecture firm Lamb & Rich and served as the Berkeley School for Boys until being acquired by The General Society in 1899. A 1903 expansion was designed by Ralph S. Townsend, which blended monumental Beaux Arts Classicism with Renaissance elements. The Library located on the ground floor of The General Society is the second oldest library in New York City, and one of three remaining membership circulating libraries. The archives of the Library date back to 1785. The building also houses the John M. Mossman Lock Collection, which contains more than 370 locks, keys, and tools, dating from 4,000 BC to the early 20th century.

Tour Guides: Victoria Dengel, Executive Director, The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen of the City of New York
Seth Weine, Fellow, Institute of Classical Architecture and Art
Lisa A. Easton, AIA, Partner, Easton Architects

Price: $10